the logic behind name of english
The “Chinchilla gene” is responsible for the luxurious cream color in English Cream Dachshunds. This gene affects all colors in Doxies except black and chocolate. That’s the reason why your English Cream Dachshunds end up with “black and creams” and “chocolate and creams” shades.
English Cream Dachshund Appearance
This dog comes in striking shades of cream including white cream and rich golden cream. Although the coat color makes them stand out among other Dachshund varieties, they share the same traits and are a part of the Dachshund family.
What Gene Causes the Cream Color?
The “Chinchilla gene” is responsible for the luxurious cream color in English Cream Dachshunds. This gene affects all colors in Doxies except black and chocolate.
That’s the reason why your English Cream Dachshunds end up with “black and creams” and “chocolate and creams” shades.
It is widely believed that English Creams have a better temperament than the rest of the breed.
The English Creams have a sweet nature and tend to be calmer than other Dachshund varieties.
However, it is no surprise that they all share the following personalities:
- Diggers: English Cream Dachshunds are born diggers. Doxies have been bred to hunt down badgers and rabbits in burrows and dig their way to reach the hiding place of the prey.
- Barkers: Creams are quick to let you know of approaching danger whether in the house or out walking. You have to train them to stop the tendency of becoming snappy.
- Hunters and Chasers: They are born to chase, hunt, and never give up. English Creams have a high prey drive and when tempted they are single-minded in the pursuit of their prey.
- Watchdogs and territorial: English Cream Dachshunds are reliable watchdogs and know how to guard their territory. You won’t need a doorbell as Creams are always quick to sound an alarm.
- Greedy: English Creams are small dogs with big appetites. They eat to clear. Since they are greedy and love food, they can quickly gain weight.
- Playful & Stubborn: English Cream Dachshunds are stubborn and super smart. They have an independent spirit and will do everything to get what they want.
- Intelligent: This is an intelligent breed and has a desire to please their humans. English Creams can read and react appropriately to human gestures and understand human voice commands.
- Affectionate and loyal: An English Cream Dachshund is an affectionate and loyal companion. Betrayal is not their attribute. They like being around their pet parents and make a superb family dog.
Are English Cream Dachshunds Good With Children and Other Pets?
Pro tip: You should always supervise any interactions between English Creams and young children, no matter how friendly and loving your sausage dog may be.
A well-trained English Cream Dachshund will always be good with kids and other dogs. They get along well with other pets, though the greater the size difference, the more supervision, and training required to keep everyone safe
Like most long-haired dogs, English Cream Dachshunds shed moderately all year with at least one heavy shed per year.
Let’s have a look at English Cream’s grooming needs:
- Brushing: To keep your English Cream Doxie’s coat healthy, it needs to be brushed regularly using a slicker brush. The brushing will keep the coat tangle-free and in good condition. To detangle the fur, you will need to brush from the root to its tip.
- Bathing: Dachshunds don’t need bathing very often. Periodic bathing, not more than once a month, will maintain their neat appearance. Over-bathing is not recommended for these dogs.
- Trimming: Trim around the ears and feet of your English Cream regularly. The hair in these areas grow infringes and requires trimming to keep it neat and tidy.
- Nail trimming: Trim nails once a month if your English Cream does not wear them down naturally. Short and neatly trimmed nails keep the dog’s feet in good condition.
- Maintaining clean ears and eyes: The ears should be checked weekly for redness or a bad odour, which can indicate an infection. Eyes should be clear, with no redness or discharge.
Health Issues In The English Cream Dachshund
There are several issues you should keep an eye on when it comes to the health of the English Cream Dachshund. We grouped the most common ones into four categories:
- Joint abnormalities
- Eye issues
- Back problems